Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog just got the spleen removed two days ago.... today

Customer Question

Hello doc.... My dog just got the spleen removed two days ago.... today hes is back home ..... all good for couple hours but now he just vomit..... hes is drinking water normally ..... what kind of food i need to give him ... or i need to take him back to the vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also hes is not moving ..... just laid on one side ......
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I've done my fair share of spenectomies as well. I'm sorry to hear that Trosky isn't recovering well.

The first thing I'd like to check on any post-op patient is the color of their gums. It's a good sign if they are bubblegum pink, however if they are pale or white, it could mean problems. Also, it could be trouble if his heart rate is very fast or "racing". I'm not surprised if I have a patient who vomits on and off for a few days after a major surgery and anesthesia, and I don't worry too much about it as long as they are still acting normally and eating and drinking well. Unless I did GI surgery or the pet is having diarrhea, I typically go back to their regular dog food within 12 hours of them waking up from surgery.

If he's really laid out and you can't get him up, that's also cause for concern.

When in doubt, as you may be, it's always a good idea to call his vet to get their opinion.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Monica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trosky. How is everything going?
Doc Sara