How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask brisadog Your Own Question
brisadog
brisadog,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6785
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
brisadog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some mole poison pellets. He dug them up so

Customer Question

My dog ate some mole poison pellets. He dug them up so probably about 6 to 8 pellets. I didn't realize it until after he Thru up and then I saw holes in yard.. he was als drooling earlier but seems Ok right now and not exhibiting any symptoms. Should I take him to emergency vet hospital? This was prob a couple hours ago. He is 2 yr old lab mix about 65 lbs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. Can you tell me specifically what type of poison you used? A particular brand, or even the active ingredient listed on the package?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zinc phosphide
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

OK, this is highly dangerous. If he has vomited in the house, you need to open your windows and leave the house.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It's good that he already vomited, hopefully he got the majority of the toxin out. However, he should still be seen at an emergency hospital right away.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Let them know that he ingested zinc phosphide and that they need to be aware of phosphine gas exposure.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

He should be kept on IV fluids, and given medication to keep his stomach pH alkaline.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

He may need oxygen supplementation, and we should monitor his kidney and liver values for signs of damage.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.