Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Corgie Chihuahua mix started developing sores on her

Customer Question

My Corgie Chihuahua mix started developing sores on her snout yesterday, and by this afternoon they are very large purulent and spreading to around her eyes. She is scratching a lot and I feel this is accelerating the spread of sores. What should I do until the vet opens on Tuesday??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

That's an unusually aggressive skin condition. It's most consistent with canine juvenile cellulitis more common in puppies but occasionally seen in older dogs. Can you upload a photo of Tessa's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok here ya go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These started out as small bumps on her snout and as she scratched they morphed into one large sore. Also notice the sores starting above each eye on her brow ridge.

Thank you! This is most consistent with canine eosinophilic furunculosis of the face - an acute usually self-limiting disease of the face. Although the exact pathogenesis isn't known, a hypersensitivity reaction to insect stings or spider bites is suspected. Blisters, erythematous papules and nodules, ulceration, crusts, and hemorrhage may develop acutely and usually peak in severity within 24 hours. Lesions are minimally pruritic (itchy) and typically involve the muzzle, bridge of the nose, and periocular areas. Nasal pyoderma is a facial bacterial skin infection that also may occur secondary to trauma or insect bites and resembles eosinophilic furunculosis. It isn't expected to involve the periocular areas, however.

Both are treated with systemic antibiotics such as potentiated amoxicillin (Clavamox) or a cephalosporin such as cephalexin. Penicillin isn't a good choice for skin infections. Eosinophilic furunculosis is also treated with prednisone although without prednisone spontaneous recovery usually occurs within 3 weeks. To differentiate one skin disorder from the other, Tessa's vet can perform a cytology - a microscopic exam of a small sample of the affected skin surface. The white blood cell eosinophil will predominate in the cytology when eosinophilic furunculosis is present. The white blood cell neutrophil will predominate in nasal pyoderma.

Treatment until Tuesday might consist of gently bathing the affected areas in the antimicrobial Hebiclens (chlorhexidine) available over the counter in your local pharmacy. I don't see the need for an antihistamine such as Benadryl. Please continue our conversation if you wish.