Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I think my miniature weiner dog ate a tampon yesterday

Customer Question

I think my miniature weiner dog ate a tampon yesterday during the day (I didn't see her do it but this is based on the remnants. she's now thrown up her food 4xs and based on the volume seems to be last night's and today's food. Should I be concerned that it's stuck in there or do you think it will push through?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Is she trying to eat and drink normally today? Does her belly seem bloated or painful? Is she passing any stool? Is she lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did eat this morning, but then threw up a lot afterward. Seems more lethargic. I felt her stomach and it doesn't seem bloated and she didn't wince in pain for anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen her pass stool yet, but I may have missed it

Thank you for that information. Tampons definitely have the potential to cause blockage, especially in a breed this small. They also tend to expand in the intestinal tract. It concerns me that she hasn't passed any stool either. The early symptom of a blockage is vomiting and lethargy. In this case I believe that she may have a blockage so it is best to have her seen immediately. Hopefully, she just has an upset stomach but if she is blocked then waiting could be very dangerous. The vet will probably recommend x-rays. If you have more questions please reply back.

Hi Erin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kona. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.