Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 year old Bischon /Yorkie has been pooping every 1-1.5

Customer Question

My 7 year old Bischon /Yorkie has been pooping every 1-1.5 hours for the past 5 days. Stool is very soft and she can't hold it at all. This keeps her up at night as well. She's eating, drinking, playing. Ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Annie has had loose stools for the past few days, this can cause increased fecal frequency and affect their fecal control. In regards ***** ***** for these signs, we do have to consider a range of agents. Most commonly this will be associated with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasite/protozoal infections, inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), dietary indiscretion, and potentially secondary to ingestion of harmful items or metabolic/organ troubles.

Still, if she is otherwise well, then we can consider some supportive care to try and soothe her stomach. To start, you can trial her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut.Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrheal load. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

As well, since you reported no blood in her stools, I would also note that you can help her via using a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate(More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, if she has loose stool this will be why we are seeing these other signs at this stage. In regards ***** ***** she is feeling well otherwise, you can consider the above for her. Of course, if the signs do not settle, then we'd want to consider having a check +/- fecal test at her vet to pinpoint which of these is present. Since once we know which is behind her diarrhea, we can start appropriate treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) as needed to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )