Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We found out my pup had parvo about this past Tuesday so I

Customer Question

we found out my pup had parvo about this past Tuesday so I took her to vets on Wednesday she was showing regular symptoms as vomit and bloody diarrhea on Tuesday and stayed at vets for two days. They gave me albon medication for her. She stayed at the vets for two days said she was doing good and I got to take her home.. No more diarrhea since then stool was still moist but not diarrhea but never had to force her to eat chicken and rice she loves it in fact but I followed directions and gave small portions of food and she loves water but starting last night she Juss won't drink it now and seems to be constipated is this a problem or interfering with her recovery?? Do I have to trick her to drink her water if so how.??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Sara - I'm licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I've got a lot of experience treating parvo, although I wish I didn't!

She may be getting her daily allotment of water through her food if it's moist like boiled rice, especially if she is quite small. They don't require a whole lot of water. Check to see if her gums are moist or dry. If they are moist - no worries! If they are dry, consider trying some pedialyte or adding low sodium broth to her food.

It's also not uncommon for us to see straining to poop when they've got diarrhea - this is called colitis. They have the urge to poop urgently but nothing comes out except some small drops of poop.

As long as she is still acting her normal self, I would continue to give the medications prescribed by her vet and the TLC that you're already doing! It's great that she's responding so well so far - I'm so glad to hear it :) Another thing that I usually use with my parvo puppies is a probiotic like FortiFlora. Just like with us, probiotics can help them recover from a GI upset faster. The FortiFlora is made specifically for dogs with the good bacteria that's normally inside their GI tract.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lauren. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is pretty good I was thinking about getting pedialyte you think she would drink it on her own? I have been mixing chicken broth with her food but would that keep her hydrated until payday? Where can I get fortiforA? I called my vet and they said she doesn't need medication anymore since Lauren has held her food in.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Morning :) I'm glad to hear that she's keeping her food down now! If she still has diarrhea, the probiotic is a good idea. In fact, there are a lot of us who think that probiotics are important for every day health as well (I take one for me!)

If her gums are moist, you're doing a good job keeping her hydrated. If they're tacky or dry, we need to get more fluid into her. In a pinch I will sometimes teach my clients how to give subcutaneous fluids, which can supplement the fluid intake.

If your vet doesn't carry FortiFlora you can buy it online :

http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Veterinary-Diets-Fortiflora-Sachets/dp/B001650NNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1441801912&sr=1-1&keywords=fortiflora

How's she doing this morning?

~Dr. Sara