Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a swollen to the right of her but & it is

Customer Question

My dog is a swollen to the right of her but & it is ozzing.,swelling went down some when I tried to start at back & pressed on it .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- If her butt was a clock on what number would you put the swelling?

3- Is she licking the area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today never noticed it before
1 or 2
Yes she is licking area.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like she has a ruptured anal gland. You see, dogs have 2 anal gland inside their rectum; sometimes they can become impacted/infected and rupture through the side of the butt. She will need to be seen by family veterinarian to express the anal glands and start her on oral medications; this is not a life threatening condition. It can wait to see family vet. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the opening 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter