Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

No vomiting,diarrhea,coughing. Pulls back from being touched

Customer Question

No vomiting,diarrhea,coughing. Pulls back from being touched in the neck area. He weighs 50 lbs. Only 1 81 mg aspirin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Fritz. I do have few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. How long has he been acting this way?

2. Is he eating well? No dropping food out of his mouth or reluctance to eat hard kibble?

3. Have you examined his ears for redness or swelling?

4. Is he holding his head/body in an unusual way or does he only behave as you're seeing when you touch his neck?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was OK when he went to bed last night. No problem with eating. Could see nothing wrong with ears. Neck seems only tender area noticed. He does seem to be shivering/shaking at times.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

The shaking/shivering that he's doing may be secondary to pain/discomfort although fevers can cause it as well. If you have a thermometer, it might be a good idea to double check his temperature; normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's high, then the list of possible explanations for his behavior include a tick disease or possibly an infection of some sort.

If it's normal, then I have several other thoughts as what might be causing his behavior:

1. He could be experiencing a problem with his back such as compression of the spinal cord by a disc or mass. Sometimes a thorough physical exam will help to detect such a problem but usually x-rays or more advanced imaging is necessary.

2. He could have pulled a muscle or experienced a sprain. This breed tends to be pretty active and if that's his lifestyle, then he may have inadvertently injured himself.

3. I've seen dogs with ear infections behave this way, too. You wouldn't be able to detect an inner or middle ear infection but typically these dogs are tilting their heads so this seems less likely to be his problem.

4. Oral pain or problems with the teeth might cause him to be uncomfortable but, again, seems less likely if he's eating just fine.

I'm not certain that this is an ER type of situation unless his behavior worsens and he either doesn't want to move much at all or he yelps quite loudly when you touch him; then a vet visit sooner rather than later may be prudent.

I would have advised Aspirin since he's not vomiting and is still eating (as long as he's not currently taking steroids or other nsaid medication) since the anti-inflammatory and anti-pain properties may be of benefit for him. However, your dose is a little on the low side for a dog this size.

I would have suggested 1.5 of a full strength 325 mg tablet at one time and give it twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if he has to be seen but several doses should be fine.

I'd also avoid use of a collar around his neck if he's leashed to go outside for elimination purposes but you may have already thought of this.

I hope this helps and that he is feeling better soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fritz. How is he doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fritz. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb