Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our great dane woke up in middle of night. She is painting

Customer Question

our great dane woke up in middle of night. She is painting trying to have a bowel movement and gagging.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats - I just woke up for the morning to begin my work and I've now locked on to your question.

Based on your short description, I am concerned that your pet could be exhibiting signs of gastric dilation volvulus (GDV or "bloat"). GDV is a condition where the stomach twists out of its normal position and becomes very distended. The hallmark signs are pacing, agitation, abdominal discomfort, and unproductive retching. If she is still doing these things and hasn't settled down, I would seek ER care immediately. GDV is absolutely life threatening, but can be managed with aggressive care (surgery and supportive care).

If she's more comfortable and not showing these signs any more, it could be that she's developed gastroenteritis, which is the fancy word for a GI upset. It could be infectious (think stomach flu) or due to something she ate that was out of her usual routine. If she is acting relatively normally, she is no longer gagging, there's no abdominal distention and her gums are nice and bubblegum pink, it may be OK to consider watching her.

However I'm concerned based on your description that it's possibly GDV. How is she doing now?

~Dr. Sara