Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just had s leg amputated on Tues. I brought m home

Customer Question

My dog just had his leg amputated on Tues. I brought him home today and there's some drainage is this normal? My vet said it was normal do to all the nerves, etc there but how long should this last for? I saw him on Thurs. after surgery performed on Tues. and it did not look like this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your Lab had to have his leg amputated but some amount of drainage for the first week is normal as long as it is red tinged and not yellow, green. Often when you come to visit the leg will be cleaned up prior to your visit to minimize the trauma at seeing this incision.

Things to monitor for:

- Discharge that is yellow, green
- Incision skin looking black or purple. Some amount of redness is normal at this stage
- Rectal temperature >103.5 (normal 100-102.5)
- Unable to rest comfortably
- Reduced appetite
- Less responsive to you
- No urination x 24 hours
- Lethargy

But unfortunately for the first 1 week we will have some drainage due to what is called "dead space," which is when we have to close an area that is closing over a bigger area exposed and in some cases we actually have to use drains to minimize the pocket filling underneath the sutures and ensure the drainage is leaving the incision versus filling up inside

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions this evening. I am on-line another 20 minutes tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to view my responses and Cecil is resting comfortably.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sonia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cecil. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman