Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog has vomited all morning. This afternoon She's just so

Customer Question

My dog has vomited all morning. This afternoon She's just so listless and won't eat or drink anything. My husband said she got in the garbage when he was at work the other day, as for me, I was out of town. He stated there were some chicken scraps in the garbage, but no bones from the fresh chickens he was cutting up. He woke up yesterday and found she had vomited and had diarreah in four places. I don't know what I can do for her. She just lays beside me and I just pet her.
She is blind, but still will give me a small wag of the tail when she hears me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Wilhelmina. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
So I may know that you are online and available to chat, please type in a short reply. It's important that I know you understand how the website works and that you will need to ACCEPT my answer before I type in a lengthy reply. Rest assured you will have my full attention after you reply.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not online and available to chat right now. I will OPT OUT now so other experts will be able to answer your question when you return.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good night.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I work exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Wilhelmina isn't feeling so well :(

When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. For Wilhelmina, I suspect that her recent foray into garbage eating has given her a GI upset. It's not unusual at all for them to break with vomiting and diarrhea after getting into the garbage.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

I sure hope she wakes up happier tomorrow morning :) Please let me know if I can answer any follow up questions for you!

~Dr. Sara