Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female yorkie, age 12, started walking on only 3 legs,

Customer Question

My female yorkie, age 12, started walking on only 3 legs, holding the one leg up, can't find anything wrong with the leg she isn't walking on, she is not crying, should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- What leg is she lame?

4- Do you know how she injured herself?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

6- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medications - just started yesterday which Sept 5th. I did not see her injure herself. She went on 2 or 3 walks with me then in the evening she started walking on only 3 of her legs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in any case of a non-weight bearing lameness we need to rule out either: A fracture, a soft tissue injury, hip injury (in case of back leg), a pinched nerve, etc. If she has shown no improvement since she became lame I would recommend an orthopedic examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test to determine which of the above is the underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Rest her; no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

2- Buffered Aspirin 5mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Follow up with family vet for xrays and an orthopedic examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter