Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

D..my two year old poodle/terrier vomited twice since

Customer Question

Hi Dr D..my two year old poodle/terrier vomited twice since Wednesday. She's had stools. And had an appetite intermittently. Acts normal intermittently as well. For the last 5 hours after her last vomit, she's been lethargic and has had no appetite. I've tried chicken and sweet potatoes. She turns her head. I haven't seen her drink water either. I gave her half a Pepcid tab hoping it would help. It was hot at the lake. And she did drink the lake water. Her still is solid. No odd contents. She's had her regular dog food, no changes. And her regular treats. The only thing different she had that I was thinking set this off was the subway sandwich my husband shared with her. Her tummy isn't bloated. And she doesn't feel warm. Her gums are light pink and appears dry.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Stella. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.

You've done an excellent job describing what is going on with Stella, and I can see why you're worried about her. Can you please tell me what your question is and I will do my best to answer? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Jo. Thank you for such a quick response. I'm an RN but certainly don't know veterinary medicine. I want to make sure I have time to wait and see if she recovers. Or should I worry and take her in to see the vet. Should I wait to see if she drinks? Or should I force liquids?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Ah, I see. Here's the scoop on how to mange a young, otherwise healthy dog with symptoms of an upset stomach at home, and how to know if you need to go to the vet...

(typing more...)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I responded Stella walked past me and drank a little water. And then went outside.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

That's a good start. Any young, alert, reasonably active young dog who shows signs of an upset stomach (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) is entitled to a 24-hour fast before seeking veterinary attention.

That is... as long as she's reasonably bright, alert, happy, comfortable, and showing no other signs of distress.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was definitely more alert and happy throughout the day. This all hit her around 1pm. And she's been sleeping. Moving from place to place.So as long as she seeks water I should be ok to just watch her? Should she have bowel rest?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think it's okay to just watch her. I usually advise nothing at all by mouth for at least a few hours (with quiet rest). Then water only for 6-8 hours. Then, if still no vomiting, it's okay to resume food, but in TINY amounts at first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she isn't vomiting any more.Thank you for your help! Completely reassures me. I lost my lab at 3 years old from a systemic fungal infection. I always beat myself up for not catching her symptoms earlier. They were so minute. My husband kept saying she slept more cause she's finally grown up and not a puppy lab all excitable. My heart broke when we had to put her down.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

That sounds awful! I can understand why it's stuck with you. Hard to get over that kind of thing.

Trust your Mom Instincts. As long as she's otherwise doing okay, it's okay to observe a short fast and gradual return to water then food. If she's getting worse or acts distressed, seek emergency care.

Most of the time, though, a puppy in a situation like this is back to normal within 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good morning!

I hope everything is going much better for both you and Stella this morning. Remember to refer to the instructions I provided above. I also wanted to let you know I'll be out of email touch for most of the day, but will be checking when I get back later this afternoon.

Wishing you the best!

And please do take a moment to rate my response. It's greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! Just checking in to ask how Stella is doing. Is everything okay?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how things are going with Stella. I hope she's back to 100%.

If you're satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response and close the question.

If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you.