Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Dog wont eat hair loss weight loss

Customer Question

Dog wont eat hair loss weight loss
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Brie today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on with Brie for? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Is she current on her heart worm prevention? What parts of the body are you noticing the hairloss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 week hair loss every where no heart worm treatment

Okay thanks for the additional information. Are you seeing fleas on her? Is she very itchy? How does the skin look? Is it red or inflamed? Is it very scaly where the hairloss is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not itchy or scarlet no fleas

Okay in older dogs that have hairloss that are not itchy and there are no fleas I worry about a hormonal disease being the issue. One condition that I would be worried about is a low thyroid or hypothyroidism which can be common in older dogs. Since the thyroid hormone plays an important role in hair growth, when it is low hair loss typically occurs. The other condition I worry about is an overactive adrenal gland also known as Cushing's disease. This is a condition where the adrenal gland over produce steroids in the body. Blood tests can diagnose these medical conditions. Does she happen to be spayed?