Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog can't hold it, peed every where ,hes 11 years old but

Customer Question

my dog can't hold it, peed every where ,hes 11 years old but he drink lots of water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Any blood in the urine? Any straining to urinate? Any change in appetite?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is being like8 months ,and he just peed I don't think that he realize that he is peeing ,or probably he doesn't have control of his urethra .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no blood, no straining , no change on apetite but him is getting very skinny

Thanks for the additional information It is really helpful. With his age they are several conditions I would be worried about based on his clinical signs. With him having the urge to urinate more means that his body is producing much more urine. There are 2 conditions that can cause that in dogs. One condition is Diabetes. Since with diabetes there is a high amount of sugar in the blood stream it also ends up in the urine as well. The high concentration of sugar in the urine will draw water out of the blood adding to the volume of the urine in the bladder leading to the urge to urinate more frequently. Another condition I would be worried about is Kidney disease. The kidneys are responsible for concentrating urine whenever the body needs to conserve water. In kidney disease, this function is lost therefore leading to very dilute urine as well. Both of these medical conditions can be ruled out by having bloodwork performed at your veterinarian. Diabetes is confirmed if the blood sugar is high and if sugar is found in the urine. Kidney disease is diagnosed if specific enzymes in the blood profile are elevated. Both can eventually be treated but it depends on how severe the condition is.

lab work can also rule out an urinary tract infection which is another possibility for the increase urination. But you typically don't see the weight loss

Let me know if you have any further questions or need any more clarification on the information I have provided.