Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can Imodium A-D be given to a dog to treat diarrhea?

Customer Question

Can Imodium A-D be given to a dog to treat diarrhea ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as there is no blood in the stools and the dog is a large breed (since this drug has a very small safe dosing range and is difficult to give to small breeds), then Imodium (Loperamide) can be used in dogs. When dosing, we tend to use only 0.04 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. If your dog is a smaller breed, I would note that we would instead use Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or OTC products like Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Prokolin from your local vets, pet store, or even Amazon.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet