Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I have a female dachshund .fixed .also resued from ga

Customer Question

i have a female dachshund .fixed .also resued from ga several yrs ago.
but the last couple days her head droops and she yibes.
only certain ways when she gets up or want to touch her...
i dont understand,she pees and poops ok ..and eats good?
what could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Is she stumbling or staggering? Does she yelp when you are moving her head and neck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but she sometimes yelps when she gets up. When she has to take a small step down when going out of the house she goes very slowly.

Thank you for that information. This sounds like she has a herniated disc in her neck or back. It is a very common condition in this breed and the herniated disc causing swelling and pressure on the spinal cord to cause pain and even paralysis in some cases. Most cases can be treated medically but if the situation worsens then sometimes surgery is necessary. It would you have her seen by a veterinarian immediately so that she can be assessed and treated. Waiting could worsen the situation and make treatment more difficult. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I give her a baby aspirin?also she walks fine ,and even runs when she gets exited .

It's good that she's able to do that because that tells me that it's just painful right now and not causing more serious problems. However, it is important that she doesn't do those things in order to prevent it from worsening. Strict rest is important. Aspirin won't be strong enough to help much, can cause serious stomach ulcers in dogs and can't be combined with most medications that would be typically prescribed for this condition so I don't recommend using it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. Good luck.