Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is having allergy issues - not sure if the symptoms

Customer Question

My dog is having allergy issues - not sure if the symptoms I'm seeing are normal or if I should be concerned. He visited the vet two weeks ago because he had redness/itching between his back toes on both paws. He had skin dermititis and was given an antibiotic and Genesis topical spray. These have relieved his itching a bit, but since he has still been itching, has had loose stool/occasional diharrea and sometimes sounds a little hoarse when he barks. He also sometimes seems to be breathing a little faster than normal/panting.
I also did just transition is food around this time from puppy to adult food (but same brand - Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken)
He is eating regularly and still very playful.
Could this be seasonal allergy related?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The answer is maybe this is allergy related. I am more concerned this has nothing to do with the paws. The diarrhea could be a side effect of the antibiotic, though. And it is certainly possible the diet change caused some loose stool, or being a young dog he may have eaten something to upset his system. But I cannot link respiratory issues to the medications. Allergic bronchitis related to allergies is rare but possible in dogs.

What I would recommend is a followup appointment with your veterinarian for an exam next week if he has persistent problems. He is likely going to need some testing that would include X-rays to look at his lungs and see if there are changes consistent with allergic bronchitis (although exact diagnosis requires sampling from the lungs via either tracheal wash or bronchoscopy) or if there is something else like pneumonia or a heart problem. And, I would advocate some lab testing to help us distinguish if there is a larger issue causing diarrhea (not just reaction to the drug).

Being optimistic, if this is just diarrhea from the food change, it should resolve within the next day. Indications he must be seen on emergency for the diarrhea would be if it is turning bloody, he loses his appetite or becomes lethargic or has abdominal pain. You can do two things to help him out this weekend with no anticipated side effects. If he was my patient and you were unable to have him seen this weekend I might recommend you first, start him on a probiotic (such as Culturelle capsule for people at one daily OR use plain yogurt at 1 T once daily) and you may administer peptobismol tablet at one every 8 hours for diarrhea.

There is not much you can do for the respiratory other than monitor. If this is worsening, indications this is an emergency would be if he is having coughing or increased trouble breathing. Then, please have him seen immediately.

Otherwise, if he continues to have a great attitude, then you could try conservative therapy for the loose stool, and hope this is diet-change related and monitor him.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.