Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 25 to 30 lb dog who is terrified of the vet. I have

Customer Question

I have a 25 to 30 lb dog who is terrified of the vet. I have tried to cut her nails at home and have gotten all but one do claw. I'm wondering if I can give her a 5mg valium to get her to sleep and let me cut that last nail.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's unlikely that 5 mg of Valium will be of value for your purposes. Dosing of that drug in dogs is much higher than in people. I might dose your dog at 15 mg but that still isn't likely to do the trick. I recommend having her vet prescribe Acepromazine - a true tranquilizer - which you can dose at a full 1 mg/lb 2 hours prior to the desired effect. You'll still need help restraining her but you should be able to cut that last nail and have that drug handy for the next time you need to cut all of the nails.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.