Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has addisons. Of course the steroid shot he gets

Customer Question

Hello, my dog has addisons. Of course the steroid shot he gets monthly affects his potassium levels. Since the non trade name for clavamox contains the word " potassium" I'm concerned cause the student vet just prescribed it for him because of a nutria rat bite. Will this drug affect his potassium levels?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about giving additional potassium to an Addisonian patient via his antibiotic, generic clavamox.

It appears that the amount of potassium in each tablet is quite small, 0.63meq per tablet.

For example when we are supplementing potassium to raise blood levels we would give at least 2meq per 10 pounds of body weight.

I think that the amount in these tablets is small enough that this should not be a concern for your pup.

Of course you will want to monitor Jingles closely for signs of a crisis simply because he is very stressed right now from a rat bite and a possible infection.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jingles. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara