Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is suddenly lethargic. He won't eat, and he does not

Customer Question

My dog is suddenly lethargic. He won't eat, and he does not have much energy to go for a walk. This just started today. Does he need to go to an emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This lethargy could come from anything...Infection, digestive disturbance, injury that you may not be aware of. For now, if there is no vomiting, try giving your guy aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs ONLY if he is eating. This will bring down a fever if this is an infection and will help with pain if there is an injury. It is hard to know if your guy should go to the ER clinic with this little information. If you can fill em in on his age and history, that will be very helpful.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buddy is a 20 pound, 8 year old, male bichon. He seems to be perking up a bit. He is not vomiting. On his first walk today all he wanted to do was eat grass. He did not walk much. He rested for 1 hour and took another walk. He did not try to eat any grass and he seems to be doing a bit better. He is normally a voracious eater, an early waker, (up by 6am), and a perky watcher. BTW, the grass around here is all untreated.

Thanks for that information...I would think, from your description, that Buddy may have injured a disc in his back causing pain or has aggravated an already present arthritis causing pain. These can both happen only by moving the wrong way or jumping up or down on something. Try the aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs given with food to see if you can see any improvement before rushing to the ER vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta