Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a shetland sheepdog. She is about 9 months old. We

Customer Question

I have a shetland sheepdog. She is about 9 months old. We just gave her a Heartland chewable heartworm medication today (new med for that prevention). In this night she started exhibiting excited behavior ....shaking her head, appearing to try and rub her nose by running along furniture and is generally very nervous and awake although she generally sleeps the night through without problem.
since she was quite healthy I suspect some tie between this medication and her strange behavior???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Trixie. How is she doing now?

It would help me to know the ingredients of the medication. I searched under Heartland chewable, but can't find it anywhere. It is Heartland, not Heartgard? Can you check the label and tell me the active ingredients?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

An itchy face can indicate an allergic reaction to something, either an ingredient in the medication, or an insect sting or spider bite. Giving Benadryl might help: 1 milligram per pound of her body weight ( 25 mg for a 25 pound dog).

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca