Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate some grapes a few hours ago. i 't know how many

Customer Question

my dog ate some grapes a few hours ago. i don't know how many what should I do?
o
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

2. Is there any chance this happened within the last two hours ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 months old
About 2-3 hours ago

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. OK here's the numbers ... The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Lets say your dog weighs 50 pounds { please confirm your dog's weight } So the toxic number of grapes would be 25 grapes in that case. If you are sure your dog ate less than that then there is no need to do anything he should be just fine.

You can check this information HERE

2. But if you have doubts that it was more than 25 grapes then induce vomiting at once even though more than two hours has passed this is still a good thing to do. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best. : LINK

Then take your dog to an ER vet at once for further treatment such as activated charcoal and IV fluids, grape toxicity can be a very serious situation so best not take chances.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grapes ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is just fine. Thanks for checking. And I appreciate your answer last night. You were the only one who gave us an idea of how many grapes he would need to eat to get sick. So all is well! Thanks again

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?