Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 11 year old chawinnie who is breathing heavily. He is

Customer Question

My 11 year old chawinnie who is breathing heavily. He is eating and drinking normally and heart rate seems fine I am concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He won't take anymore Benadryl and he seems restless now and I am starting to be concerned. I thought someone was just a few minutes away with help and I've been waiting for oven an hour
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now. Not many of us are available overnight.

I need a bit more information to be able to answer your question.

1)Does Roaco have any known medical problem such as a heart murmur or primary lung disease (allergic bronchitis)?

2) Why are you giving him benadryl? Did this breathing occur after you gave the beandryl for the firs time?

3) What do his gums look like (pink, blue/gray, white, yellow)?

4) What do you mean by breathing heavily - does this mean panting all the time but not distressed or serious increased effort to move air in/out of his lungs?

Thank you for taking a moment to answer more questions which will help me get you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he is not panting just heavy breathing like we just finished playing really hard. I read in a couple blogs that Benadryl can help calm him down. He has some back issues but besides that no real health issues previously.
His gums are pink a little darker then usual. I listened to his lungs for awhile last night and there is a little rasp but nothing major.
His nose is wet and he ate a snack this morning but motto interested in eating his breakfast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and thank you by the way. Sorry if I was rude earlier just concerned about my little guy. Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

This all sounds very good. All normal parameters. Therefore, I think you would be safe to monitor him. If he truly worsens and is having difficulty breathing unrelated to exercise, then this is a concern and a reason to have him seen right away on emergency.

There is no problem administering benadryl if needed as a calming agent, but it is often not that effective.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.