Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I accidentally gave my 8 pound Maltese dog 7 "Happy

Customer Question

I accidentally gave my 8 pound Maltese dog 7 "Happy Traveler" soft chews, mistaking them for one of her treats. The recommended dosage for her size is 1 chew, 1 more if necessary, if first chew doesn't calm her (for thunderstorms). The ingredients per
(1) chew is as follows: 40mg Valerian, 40 mg German Chamomile, 40 mg L-Tryptophan,***** John's Wort. Inactive ingredients: Black malt extract, dry poultry liver flavor, flax seed oil, gelatin, glycerin, natural flavors, salt, whey. She ate them about
an hour ago. This is her regular bedtime, and she seems somewhat alert, though appropriately sleepy. I am concerned about letting her go to sleep, and am wondering if I should take her to 24-hour emergency. Any advice would be appreciated. She is in excellent
health, has regular checkups, and a good diet and exercise, etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to get an answer quickly. Waited about 40 minutes and then tried requesting a phone call. I am going to take her to the 24-hour emergency doctor. Kindly do not charge me for my question. Thanks very much, Mary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Mary and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get an answer. Just for reference if this should happen again, you can induce vomiting within 2 hrs of ingestion by following these instructions:

Give 1 teaspoons of peroxide per 5 pounds of weight and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.

This will remove any of these chews and your sweet Feather will be fine. Since these are homeopathic medications, it is unlikely that they are toxic but can cause a significant digestive disturbance for your sweet Feather (LOVED her picture!!)

You will not be charged, Mary, if you do not rate. I hope Feather is feeling better now.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the information. If I ever need it again (let's hope not) it will save me $300! Thanks again.

You are very welcome, Mary....I hope sweet little Feather gets past this quickly. She is sooo cute!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's the sweetest girl ever. Thanks again!

Oh, I can tell Mary...if I was there, I would insist on keeping Feather for at least 2 yrs for observation...just kidding.... almost. Sending her a big hug!!