Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is extremely healthy and active- he is a shephard

Customer Question

My dog is extremely healthy and active- he is a shephard mix- he runs around a lot, anyway I just noticed on his right shoulder it feels like he has a bone protruding- his other shoulder does not have this- and he does not seem to be in any discomfort at all- just wondering if it could be a bone spur or what it could be?- it is very pointy- almost feels like a triangle- it is very hard like a bone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now.

Great find to notice the asymmetry. So, this may be nothing to stress over and be a "normal" growth of the bone or even a bony spur as you suggest. Or, it might be something to worry about such as a true bone tumor, although most of the time these are very painful and at least cause some level of lameness. There are other atypical growths we can see that cause bony enlargement, sometimes infection related.

The absolute best step is to have your veterinarian perform and exam to determine if (s)he feels this is indeed abnormal and if so, then, if so, do radiographs (X-rays) that are sent to a board certified radiologist for review. That should give us an answer. It does not sound like this is an emergency such that you must rush in this weekend, unless he is quite painful and is limping. So, it could wait until next week.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey