Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I think my dog ingested n-methyl carbamate that was on my

Customer Question

Hello, I think my dog ingested n-methyl carbamate that was on my neighbors flowers. He was having dry heaves for the last hour, and threw up a bit. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the MSDS for this product it requires a substantial amount to be toxic so right now we hopefully are seeing the worst of the symptoms, being gi upset. I can give you some basic guidelines for Batman but if the vomiting is not subsiding, he is showing signs of twitching, restlessness, or lethargy then please seek a veterinary er in your area.

I definitely would pull all water and food for tonight. When he is actively retching and dry heaving even water orally will cause further episodes so in order to stop the vomiting episodes we need to remove anything orally for 4-6 hours.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 20mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 40 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Batman comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Batman feeling today? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Batman. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman