Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Can I give a 10lb pup with a cough amoxicillin and at what

Customer Question

Can I give a 10lb pup with a cough amoxicillin and at what dose
The vet ordered doxycycline 10mgms but it won't be in till tuesday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

So sorry that your Poodle is not feeling well.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense!

CLICK HERE for information on amoxicillin use in dogs where it lists:

In dogs and cats, the typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day. Read more at: http://tr.im/CeQRA. So for a dog his size I would dispense 50 mg every 12 hours with food x 7 days

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Achece. How is he doing since you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able!