Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My vet said my dog had cushings but I can't afford the blood

Customer Question

My vet said my dog had cushings but I can't afford the blood work what would u recommend for him to take...he also acts like one paw is hurting him sometimes..I give him body massages and that helps some..I thought I was spoiling him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maxx. I am a veterinarian; my name is Rebecca. I will do my best to help.

If no blood tests were done, it is hard to say for certain if a dog has Cushing's disease. What are Maxx's symptoms?

How does he tell you that paw is hurting? Does he limp on it?

All the best treatments for Cushing's disease are by prescription, and you would have to get them from a veterinarian who has diagnosed him as having Cushing's. It is not safe to use these drugs until you know if, and which type, of Cushing's you are treating. You could try the homeopathic medication called Cushex drops; they help some dogs with the symptoms of this disorder.

If he is lame, you could try baby aspirin: 1 low dose or baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight once to twice daily, with food. If he vomits, do not give any more aspirin.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca