Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 7 year old dachshund thew out s back months he could not

Customer Question

my 7 year old dachshund thew out his back for 2 months he could not walk he walks better now and kinda hops like a rabbit when running u would b surprised how fast the little shit is lol but he poops in the house when excited or just randomly its not like him we recently got a puppy so I don't know if it is due to his back condition or jealousy dachshunds can be a very jealouse breed what is your opinion?
also if I leave him home I have too kennel him now because other wise he seems to get REALLY MAD that we r gone and will dig the carpet up by front door like hes trying to get out of house I tried putting him in bathroom and he tore the lanolium up happened before we got the pup is this normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

The pooping issue is likely from decreased nerve function to the back end from the back problem, and it may or may not get better with time. Try not to get mad at him because he has no control over it (not that you would!). His separation anxiety can be treated with a DAP collar (Adaptil brand) from a pet store... it can calm and soothe dogs and make them feel less stressed. If that doesn't work, have your vet prescribe Xanax and give that a try.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.