Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Today my dog a 6-8 yr old border collie mix ate an entire

Customer Question

today my dog a 6-8 yr old border collie mix ate an entire nectarine. I took her to the vet they induced vomiting with IV medication. Just a few min ago she ate a used drier sheet. She ate it once then vomited it up, and ate it again before I could take it away from her. She seems ok a little restless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's sort of gagged a couple of times. I want to know if I should try to induce vomiting again or take her to an emergency clinic.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh let me explain. After she ate the nectarine I gave her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and she vomited but not the nectarine pit. So I tried it again (based on their instructions) and the second time she didn't vomit at all just gagged a bit. Then I took her to the vet and they induced vomiting and got the nectarine pit out.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The nectarine pit was the problem item as these can often cause intestinal tract impactions in a dog of your one's size. Great you got that out ...

2. By contrast the ingredients of the dryer sheets usually do not have any toxic properties therefore I do not think that you will see any problems from this. Usually one dryer sheet will pass through the intestines of a dog of your one's size fairly well and usually will not cause an obstruction. I think all you need do is to observe Sierra for present. Plus it was good it was a used dryer sheet.

3. What may help is to give her some canned pumpkin or a fibre source to help the dryer sheet move through better. Two tablespoons of canned pumpkin every day for 2-3 days should be enough in your case.

4. Of course if any odd symptoms do occur related to abdominal tract obstruction such as vomiting, lethargy, inappetance straining or abdominal pain does occur then your should have her checked over by your vet without delay { But this would be unlikely }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u there

Sure .. go ahead ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you will do!

No problem, the chances are your dog will be just fine but I should be available online for the next couple of hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Sierra's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sierra is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the drier sheet ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking in.. She's been acting pretty normal. We had two outings today. Fetching at the dog park was normal & we went on our usual 3 mile hike. She ate normally and pooped twice. The second time I didn't get to examine it. There wasn't a drier sheet in the first poop this morning. Should the drier sheet be intact or noticible in her poop? After encouragement she ate a couple tablespoons of pumpkin this evening. Tomorrow I will be leaving her when I go to work. I'm a little worried because she's never ate a drier sheet, or anything she's not supposed to eat. And my house isn't proofed for a dog that would eat anything off the floor. I think that she must have ate the drier sheet because of all the induced vomiting, and swallowing the nectarine. I don't know. I just hope it doesn't become a habit. I'll have to work on proofing my house. Thanks again.

Hello again,

Thanks for the update,

The fact Sierra is acting normally is very encouraging, the chances are the drier sheet will be partially digested and hard to spot but the main thing is that no adverse symptoms have not occurred. As you say this could well have happened because of the inducing vomiting, fingers crossed this will not turn into a habit ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much. It's nice to know this service is here.

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sierra. How is everything going?