Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

It took Lexi all day to eat her food. It's usually gone in

Customer Question

It took Lexi all day to eat her food. It's usually gone in about 15 mins. Early this morning about 3:am she started throwing up, she has some grass in it. Mostly watery after that. She is getting up and moving but with little energy. She is a border collie so usually very active. She hasn't eat yet today. Oh and she is just finishing being in heat for the first time too. She is 9 months old. She has had 2 sets of shots. When should I be taking her into the veterinary?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Lexi has been having a rough day :(

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Hope this helps :) Please let me know what follow up questions I can answer for you!

~Dr. Sara