Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

5 mo old golden retriever swallowed an adult no show sock.

Customer Question

5 mo old golden retriever swallowed an adult no show sock. What can we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

How long ago did he eat it?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He swallowed it 2 hrs ago. He is a 5 month old puppy and we do have peroxide at the our house but we are currently not home.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At 2 hours post ingestion, it's too late to try to induce vomiting with the hydrogen peroxide. The sock will have already left the stomach and be in the intestines.

Ideally, the best thing to do would be to take him to an emergency vet and have them take an x-ray to see exactly where the sock is...then, if it's still high enough up in the digestive tract, they can use an endoscope to remove it safely.

Of course, I know not everyone has access to an emergnecy vet, so if you can't get him to one tonight, then you can monitor him and then in the morning, give your regular vet a call and have them take a peek. They may want to keep him for the day and run a barium study to see if the sock is moving through the digestive tract (which is what we want, because if it gets caught, it causes an obstruction which can be fatal if left untreated) and possibly help it along by feeding him a high fiber meal and then monitoring things.

I would absolutely, positively make sure his vet sees him tomorrow at the latest...even if he's otherwise acting normally.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
CVT_in_MN