Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My puppy ate 7 Prilosec should I be concerned he weighs

Customer Question

My puppy ate 7 Prilosec should I be concerned he weighs about 50 lbs and is 6 months old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The recommended dose for prilosec is 1 mg/ kg every 24 hours and luckily is a very safe product. For your puppy (50 pounds, 23 kg) this would be approximately one 20 mg tablet. So the dose ingested if this was a 20 mg tablet x 7= 140 mg is 6 mg/kg about a six time increase in dose.

Please give me just one moment to review toxicity but I suspect you shouldn't see any ill effects from this ingestion

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

So the only side effect that might be noted is mild stomach upset which may include vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite for 24 hours and then subside. You can feed a bland diet for 24 hours of white rice and boiled chicken in small more frequent meals to ensure we are minimizing gi upset but very likely you will not see any ill effects at all from this ingestion

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

How is your puppy doing? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman