DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog ate a bag of trail mix with raisins and m&ms.,

Customer Question

My dog ate a bag of trail mix with raisins and m&ms., almonds peanuts. It was a bag of approx. 12 oz of trail mix. My dog is a doberman Pinscher about 80 pounds.
I can induce vomiting if necessary, how much do Hydrogen peroxide do I give for this size dog? Or is he ok without?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Im sorry to hear your dog Samson got into trouble. Yes I would recommend giving hydrogen peroxide. For such a large dog, try to give him 3-4 tablespoons orally. If this does not produce vomiting in the next 10 minutes, then repeat the dosage.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

If the hydrogen peroxide does not produce vomiting or the vomiting does not contain the trail mix then you can do one of the following things:

1. Go to the vet and they have drugs that can induce vomiting.

2. Watch him closely for any signs of kidney problems. The raisins can cause renal failure. Watch for inappetance, vomiting, increased drinking and urination, or depression. Get him to the vet right away.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Samson. How is everything going?
DrMelJ