Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I just what to know I'm doing the right thing...one month

Customer Question

I just what to know I'm doing the right thing...one month ago I brought my dog to the vet for blood in her urine...my Tiff is 18..a Basset Hound..they took an xray and said they thought she had a huge bladder tumor..I said couldn't it just be a UTI..they wanted to do an ultra sound and I just don't have 500 dollars. We went home with antibiotics and she responded well. Sunday night she started barking and it continued for an hour she finally stopped and that night she had diarrhea and and it really hasn't stoped I tried the chicken and rice .Tuesday she wouldn't eat Wednesday she ate alittle and this morning shes eating normal...but the diarrhea is really bad she has trouble walking...her back legs give out sometime..shes sweet..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If the bladder issue resolved with treatment, this may not be a bladder tumor and I doubt that the diarrhea is related to this. Sweet Tiff most likely has severe arthritis causing this stiffness in her hind legs and the stress of this could possibly cause the diarrhea. Because of her age, I would feel much better if lab wok was done on Tiff to rule out any metabolic issues such as kidney or liver disease or intestinal cancer that can cause this. In the meantime, Fast her for 12 hrs to allow her digestive tract to calm down and give her Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs to help calm down this intestinal tract. Feed her rice and boiled chicken to see if she will eat.

There are many things that can cause this diarrhea in your sweet older Tiff so try this treatment first but if there is no imrprovement, testing will have to be done.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****