DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is chewing an scratching m self till he bleeds. what

Customer Question

my dog is chewing an scratching him self till he bleeds. what can i put on or bathe him in to help him? He is a shitzu an has never been this bad before. he will be getting groomed in 1 week.He has also been throwing up. it has been hot an humid in our area lately.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Im sorry to hear that your dog Peanut is so itchy. Causes for such extreme itchiness include: fleas, mites like sarcoptes or demodex, bug bites, and allergies. If you think it might be fleas or mites, you really should have him seen by a vet right away for diagnosis and treatment. Fleas or mites are definitely a possibility if you are in a southern area of the US and do not have the dog on flea and tick preventative.

If you do not think fleas or mites are likely, here are some things you can try.

- limit outside time and contact with grass, plants and pollen as these may trigger allergies. Have a good filter on your furnace that helps limit air allergens in the house.

- bathe in an oatmeal based shampoo- available at most PetSmart /PetCo type places. But dont over bathe....only once, maybe twice per week or you will dry out the coat and make itchiness worse.

- benadryl can help with itchiness. You can give about 12 milligrams (a pediatric dose) to a dog that is 10-18 lbs. This can be given twice per day. It may cause drowsiness. if it causes nausea/vomiting, then discontinue use.

If itchiness is not improving with these measures, then you need to have Peanut see a vet for help. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?
DrMelJ