Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has been sneezing a bit, mostly at night, couple

Customer Question

my dog has been sneezing a bit, mostly at night, for a couple weeks. she also is unusually thirsty at night - we assumed allergies as she was in a new environment. Today noticed her nose is dry and discharge in one eye. she sounds congested, as she is snoring when she sleeps which is not normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sure does sound like allergies would be high on the list. That would explain the fairly acute onset with the new environment and also the ocular discharge. We can see conjunctivitis as a sign of allergies in dogs, as well. You may also have a secondary infection in the nasal cavity. I like to put these guys on a round of antibiotics- typically Doxycycline or Azithromycin.

Another thing you can do, is put some saline drops in his nose and eyes. You can use artificial tears (ie Genteal). I then like to run a hot shower and let the dog breathe the steam. It can help moisten the nasal mucosa to clear up some of that congestion. I would do that 2-3 times daily for a few days.

If it's still not resolving, then you may need to consider a better work up (CT and scoping the nose/ rhinoscopy) to rule out nasal tumors or fungal organisms in the nose.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.