Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Her gums are pink, 48breaths, they only said they did blood

Customer Question

her gums are pink, 48breaths, they only said they did blood test and urine test , that it wasn't diabetes, they have her on urex-m 20mg 1/2 tab twice daily for a wk then 1 tab twice daily, if she doen't improve they have suggested an u/sound
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Since you have opened a new question & I cannot see what this was linked to previously, can you tell me if you are referring to Billie?

So, no ultrasound has been done yet?

Did the vet suspect abdominal fluid when they felt her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no u/sound as yet, the vet said her lungs were clear, her gums are properly pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I must say that I am concerned about your lass.

If she is distended and breathing this quickly, we do have a few worries. Now while I am glad to hear she has nice pink gums, I'd also be concerned that she may be needing to breathe this quick (as she should be <30bpm at rest) to keep them that way and get enough oxygen. Just to note, it is likely the weight of what is bloating the abdomen that is putting pressure on her chest to cause her to struggle. And if she is only getting enough oxygen, this will make her feel weak and lethargic too.

Now as I noted, we do have a few issues that could cause what you are seeing. First, we can enlargement of organs like the liver cause distension. As well, it can be secondary to masses (benign or cancerous) present in the abdomen. Finally, and I suspect your vet's concern, we can see these signs associated with fluid build up. The latter can be triggered by abdominal bleeds (less likely if she was not anemic on her bloods), infections (peritonitis), low blood proteins (again the bloods should give clues if that is an issue), lymphatic issues, heart disease, and when we have fluid causing tumors present (so these can be small and only be causing signs because of the fluid).

With all this in mind, her elevated breathing, deterioration, and if she has not responded to the Urex, then I do think having an ultrasound at this stage would be ideal for Billie. The sooner we do this, the sooner we can narrow down the cause of her signs and address it as effectively as possible for her. As well, if fluid is found on the scan, then you could have them sample this for analysis. Again, knowing what is here will allow you to make the best decisions for her and give you the best chance of address this to keep her comfortable.

All the best for Billie,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet