Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

As I was giving heartworm preventative to my dogs, one dog

Customer Question

As I was giving heartworm preventative to my dogs, one dog bit his in half and the other one (who already ate hers) swooped in and ate the other half. Does this constitute an overdose? The dog who got too much weighs about 72 lbs and the Iverhart Max is for dogs 50.1 to 100 lbs.
Thanks! Joyce
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Joyce. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Good news! While this is a larger dose then she needs, it is not a harmful one. Studies on this medication's safety found that even double doses would do no serious harm. So, while we could see a bit of GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling) for 24-48 hours, we'd not expect anything more than that. So, you could induce vomiting if you wished, but otherwise you can just offer her a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese) to offset any stomach upset should we see any.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I did view your response..... It was very helpful. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Joyce,

I suspect you are replying to an auto-email, but in any case I am glad to hear that you did and hopefully all is well with your wee one. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )