Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Wow. This is amazing. You actually answer questions. I have

Customer Question

Wow. This is amazing. You actually answer questions. I have a Pomeranian that has for the most part been healthy. She has been trembling on occasion the last 6 weeks intermittently. Today she has woken up in pain and her head it tilted, her right paw is bent and walks around confussed. I made of video of her after this happens.
Here is the Video from one of penni’s episodes.
http://download.fontejon.com/Penni.Fontejon.Vid1.mp4
Here are some of the details of her episodes.
Yelping, head tilt, pacing, lethargic
Times she had an episode
8:00AM
1:30PM
2:30PM
3:20PM
Any insight I am so grateful for. She is such an amazing dog and it hurts to see her like this and not be able to help her.
Forever in debt to you,
SaM
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What anti-inflammatory have they started her on? Any easing of her signs with it?

Did they do any tests yet?

Does she always hold her head tilted or can she hold it properly?

Does she seem sore if the neck is moved? Or struggle to reach her food dish?

By bent, do you mean that she places the foot upside down (example)?

Does she circle in any particular direction if allowed to walk in more open spaces?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did blood work. That came back pretty normal. There were some elevated items realtime to her kidneys but more of something to watch then be alarmed. They did a urine test but those results won't be back for another day. They also did some pressure/feel tests to see if there was any pain in any areas. Testing her joints, muscules think some spine areas as well. The doctor said that the adrenaline of being at the doctors may have subdued her symptoms and symptoms may return when she gets home. When we returned, they did. When she slept curled up with her right side she would wake up yelping is pain. Display the symptoms descibred earlier. Last night I got her to sleep curled up to the left instead and she didn't wake up yelping in pain. She was able to sleep three straight hours last night from 1-4. That was the longest in 16 hours. When she wakes up though her head is tilted and foot is bent. Not so much like the photo but more like she is lifting her foot up to her chest. When she goes forward she puts it down but she obviously has some weirdness with it.Her head seems to be tiled all the time though the more she walk the more it lossens up and appears normal. She seems to struggle to move it. Assuming it hurts her and doesn't want to feel pain.When she is hungry she eats and when she is really really thirsty she will drink. Drink a long time. Likes she waits for herself to get really thirsty. I guides the same with food as well. Our apparent is small so no big open spaces. She did want to walk last night though really late when she got up. We went for a walk down the street but she didn't smell anything just walked. This is very unusual. She loves to smell anything and everything. Did you look at the video link?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I did watch her video, but it does suggest a possible brain based or cervical (the neck portion of the spine) based issue. While I am most suspicious of the latter, to give me a full understanding of her case, can you tell me what medication her vet started her on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry I for got to add that. Here is is...Rovera (Carprofen) Cw 25mg Tab DISPMED. Give 1/2 tablet by mouth every 24 hours, if needed. Give with food and discontinue if any vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I do apologize that we seem to be playing a bit of time zone tag. Now Carprofen is a good anti-inflammatory but I would be concerned that it is not enough if the video is an example of her after the medication has been given. If it is, can you tell me if she is moving better now that she is on it?

The reason I ask is because as I noted before, her gait is suspicious of brain based or cervical spine based issue. That said, as she seems painful and it sounds like she favors the right leg perhaps with some nerve dysfunction, I'd be especially concerned about that neck region of the spine. And in that case, if she wasn't improving, we'd need to think about xray (to rule out spinal arthritis, obvious changes to the vertebral discs), MRI (which is the ideal test for looking at the spinal cord and checking for disc disease), or at least potentially trialling her on stronger medication (ie Steroids +/- Gabapentin for nerve pain +/- Tramadol for general pain).

All the best and do let me know the answer to her treatment response and what specific questions you may have,

Dr. B.