Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 4 yr old he weighted about 16 lb.he lost started

Customer Question

my dog is 4 yr old he weighted about 16 lb.he lost started loosing weight now at 14;lb he has been throwing up greenish brown fluid vet first treated with stroids and antibiotics he started eating for two days than went back to where he was at first repeted str and antibiotics begain eating again for 1 day anf reverted back to begging throwing up and not eating he has not eat in five days and has been on iv for 3 days vet pulled 700cc off stumic had yeast present I believe he has infection yeast in ears I don't think the vet knows whats wrong she wants to do exsplaratory surgre help before my dog pastes away
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you posted them...

1) Were diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests performed prior to Sammie being treated with steroids and antibiotics? Neither are indicated for a vomiting patient who has lost weight unless we can confirm a diagnosis requiring those drugs. If testing were performed can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

2) Was the 700 cc of fluid taken out of Sammie's stomach or his abdominal cavity? If from his abdominal cavity that fluid needs to be analyzed for its physical qualities and cellularity.

3) Yeast in the fluid? That isn't something we expect to find and should be considered a contaminant.

4) Blood/urine tests, fluid analysis, and X-rays or ultrasound are the standard of care for such a patient and should be performed prior to surgical exploration. Were any of these diagnostics performed?

5) I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you. I need much more information than appears to be available to you. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if dr salkin is unable to talk to me but he can respond on line than he is not who is responding to me and for than reason I want to cancle this transaction.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone and so I'll opt out. Please contact***@******.*** to remove your question if you wish.