Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dogs nail which sits up gh on the front leg Is causing

Customer Question

My dogs nail which sits up high on the front leg Is causing pain its in a position which looks like it's dislocated or has been torn. She did it trying to get her muzzle of which she has to have on when takn for walks. Should I take her to the vet or will the nail just fall of in time. Even when she licks it it makes her yelp.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. It sounds like the nail has been broken close to the base. These can sometimes get infected and get very painful. I'd recommend having your vet look at it tomorrow to decide whether she needs antibiotics or pain medications. You can put an ice pad on the nail to help with pain and swelling and a loose wrap will protect the nail from getting caught on things. If you have more questions please reply back.