Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD GOLDEN AND SHE HAS A SAC GROWING UNDER

Customer Question

I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD GOLDEN AND SHE HAS A SAC GROWING UNDER HER NECK SEEMS TO BE GROWING THE PAST FEW WEEKS? NOT IN PAIN BUT LOOKS GROSS. HUGH KELLEY
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I there any bleeding or oozing? Is it red or inflamed? How big is it and how long has it been there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no bleeding or oozing been 3 years she seems always happy. the last vet just drained it and it seemed to help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting fpr the answer Hugh Kelley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the size is 2 inches across by 4 inches.

Thank you for answering those questions. Certainly draining it when needed is a possibility but it may get large enough to cause medical problems and the continual draining can be a source of infection as well. I believe the best option would be to have the mass removed so that you don't need to worry about it anymore. At her age there will be a few risks but with proper care and if she is otherwise healthy the risks can be minimized. If you have more questions please reply back.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE ARE TRYING TO SEE IF WE CAN HELP HER A LITTLE BUT I AM AFRAID THE OPERATION IS MORE THAN WE CAN HANDLE IS THERE ANY MEDS THAT COULD HELP. YOUR ADVICE IS OK BUT HOPING SOMETHING SIMPLE COULD HELP? HUGH KELLEY

Unfortunately, your options are very limited at home. If it starts to bleed or ooze then all you can do is keep it clean with warm water and apply neosporin, otherwise surgery is really the only option.