Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I've been told that my German Shepherds hair loss is due to

Customer Question

I've been told that my German Shepherds hair loss is due to a yeast infection what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. First off dogs don't get skin yeast infections for nothing. There is ALWAYS and underlying cause and this is something alot of vets don't address.IN the German Shepherd dog the most likely cause of a secondary yeast infection on the skin is FOOD ALLERGY. YOU will need to talk with your vet about doing an elimination food trial with a novel protein diet. My favorite is Science diet DD venison and potato. Also you must use either proheart injection for heartworm prevention of Iverhart Max to prevent interference with the food trial. Concurrently the yeast infection will need to be treated and your dog will need to have a medicated bath twice weekly for awhile. I use Fluconazole in a pulse fashion to help get rid of yeast infection. And most of the time it has to be given for long periods and sometimes once patient healed once weekly for life. The diet will need to be for life as well. I hope this helps you and please let me know if you have fruther questions as I check my computer each night and will get back to you. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions as I would be all too happy to help you. Sincerely, DRB