Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is throwing up and not eating. He usually shakes and

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up and not eating. He usually shakes and groans for about an hour before throwing up. His bloodwork is normal and he is of normal weight for his size. He weighs ten pounds. He acts like everything has developed a bad taste. I had him on Pepcid AC for a few weeks, which worked. Then he was off them for days and he is back to this. What can I do to get him to eat again and keep food down? He is drinking plenty of water and keeping that down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Morsel is not feeling well

Unfortunately I have several patients that have chronic issues as you describe (acid reflux, increased acid production) that pepcid has helped calm their stomach a bit. Is it possible to reinstitute the pepcid?

Has he had bloodwork done to rule out metabolic causes of his vomiting and reduced appetite?

Is there a certain time of day that he is vomiting, perhaps first morning before or after breakfast for example?

Any additional information you can provide will hopefully help determine why Morsel is showing these changes and how best to assist you both

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted the Pepcid AC a few days ago and it no longer seems to help. He did have bloodwork done and it was normal, cancer was also ruled out. He vomits most evenings. He appears interested in eating but doesn't find anything that tastes good to him. He has lost interest in doing things he used to do.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned cancer has been ruled out, has he had an abdominal ultrasound? What other medications have been tried to stimulate his appetite?

Perhaps a transition to prilosec (omeprazole) will help since the pepcid helped for a while. The dose is 0.5 mg/ pound daily. If he is vomiting in the evening primarily then it would be ideal to administer late afternoon in hopes of controlling his symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had x-rays. He hasn't had any medications to stimulate his appetite. I will try the Prilosec.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if there are any anti-nausea medications for dogs?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Yes and I am surprised that has not been tried. It is called cerenia and it is once daily as needed for nausea, typically we start with a five day course. It does require a prescription but your veterinarian should have it

Unfortunately x-rays are not definitive there isn't something going on in the abdomen. When I have a dog in Morsel's situation I always want an abdominal ultrasound. It is much more definitive looking in the abdomen. For example, how thick is the stomach wall? Are the lymph nodes of the intestinal tract enlarged? How is his motility of the gut? All these questions are too finite to see on an x-ray and require an ultrasound. In some cases they are normal and the next step is endoscopy or a camera into the stomach and proximal small intestine to get biopsies since there are some patients that everything looks perfectly normal and diagnosis has to be made at the cellular level.

Both of these steps require referral to a specialty clinic. The ultrasound done by a veterinary radiologist and if necessary endoscopy by an internist... hopefully the ultrasound will give you answers and that will be all that is needed but I agree cerenia should be started at this point

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, any additional questions I can clarify

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** pick the Prilosec today and get a hold of our vet to get the cerenia.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions re the prilosec dose or do you feel comfortable calculating this?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

And using the prilosec in replacement of the pepcid...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am checking in on you and Morsel to see how he is doing with my suggestions?

I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with my responses please rate or accept to compensate me for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Morsel. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to take Morsel the day after I contacted you and he had to remained there for 36 hours because he was very dehydrated. They did blood work to check for diabetes and also to rule out Addison's disease and they did not locate anything that looked like cancer. They put him on saline solution, Cerena injectable, Sucralfate/Carafate and Reglan Syrup. He was much improved until last Sunday where he threw up again and appeared to either have a mini-stroke or some time of seizure. He would stand up on his back legs, fall over onto his back and then sort of roll to his side and would feel pretty rigid. This has happen a couple of times (that I know of) since this past weekend. He is still eating but it is taking a lot of work to get him to do so. He is also on prescription canned dogfood and back on pepcid AC. The vets here cannot seem to find the cause of his difficulty eating, although except for Sunday, has kept everything down. He acts like he would like to eat but cannot.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry your beloved is having such a difficult time, I cannot imagine how trying this has to be on you... it sounds like his appetite might be related to nausea still but why he is having these episodes I cannot grasp. It might be worthwhile discussing mirtazipine an appetite stimulant with your veterinarian if it is safe for Morsel...