Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a whippet/border collie and she is going on 9 years

Customer Question

I have a whippet/border collie and she is going on 9 years old. She is still very much like a puppy and always running as fast as can be. Then just this morning she started moving slowly and whining. She is not whining now but is still moving at a slower pace and is wanting to lay down all of the time now which is very unusual for her. She seems to be maybe weak and tired but can't afford to take her to the vet unless I really have. Any suggestions on what to do or what to look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Jasmine's symptoms of whining and lethargy aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and so it would be impossible for me to tell you what to do for her. We can determine if her symptoms need urgent attention, however. I need you to do a few things for me...

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink not whitish (anemia) or bluish-greyish (cyanosis/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of those things check out fine. She whimpered a little when I pushed a little on her right side near her neck...she seems to be doing better today. Is it possible that she could have just pulled a muscle.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, simple injury is always a consideration. You can administer aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food and repeated in 12 hour intervals and see how it affects Jasmine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.