Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a red eye and a puss draining out throughout the

Customer Question

my dog has a red eye and a puss draining out throughout the day, just wondering if there is something I can put on it from home or a visit to the vet is necessary
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chevy's eye. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is safe to use some over the counter products, such as Refresh drops. You can also get Terramycin, an antibiotic eye ointment, without a prescription in most states.

If she has a scratched cornea ( which we veterinarians need a special dye to see), or increased pressure in her eye (glaucoma, and that can start with the eye being really red and having a discharge), she should see a vet right away; these are emergencies and the sooner the eye is treated, the better. Cockers as a breed are more prone to glaucoma than other types of dogs, so having the eye checked by a veterinarian is my best recommendation; blindness can result with an attack of acute glaucoma and the sooner the problem is diagnosed and treated, the better.

I hope this is not serious as glaucoma. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca