Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We believe our puppy 9mos, about 20 lbs. ate half of a

Customer Question

We believe our puppy 9mos, about 20 lbs. ate half of a chocolate covered clif bar. Do I give him a teaspoon of hydrodren peroxide to make him vomit or is there something new I should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 30 minutes max.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I am and am currently typing my reply.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops..sorry
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries,

I appreciate that you are keen for an answer, but it does take a few minutes to type out a full treatment plan and answer your question.

In that case, we would induce vomiting. 3% hydrogen peroxide is still the safest option for home induction of vomiting. Otherwise, we'd have to have the local vet give him Apomorphine by injection. That aside, if he is 20lbs, you need to give the equivalent of 4 teaspoons (usually using a syringe or turkey baster is easier to use for administration). This can be given up to 3 times if you don't have vomiting after 15 minutes post administration.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, if he has had this only 30 minutes ago (or less then 2 hours really), we do want to use peroxide to induce vomiting. Otherwise, we can use activated charcoal to bind the chocolate toxin and reduce risk here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )