Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a irritation around the eyes. There's any

Customer Question

Hello.
My dog has a irritation around the eyes. There's any medication I can use for stop this
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had irritation? Does he seem bothered by it? Any rubbing of his eyes or face?

Is it just under the eyes or all around? What does it look like? Moist? Crusty? Hair loss?

Any discharge from the eyes? What color?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crusty dark when I take some off is red underneath
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

And how long has this been an issue?

Any changes to the eyes (ie redness, hazy/clouding, etc) or conjunctiva (pink tissue around the eyes)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this problem start around a year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me send a email for you with the picture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If this has been ongoing for a year with crusting/discharge, then the irritation (Which from your photo looks like moist dermatitis) around the eyes is likely a side effect of an ongoing eye issue. Therefore, if we want to address this dermatitis, we need to address the eyes. Now considering the length of time and assuming you are not seeing the eye changes I asked about; I would be concerned about possible allergies or diseases of the tear duct (inflammation, blockage, rupture). to a lesser extent, we'd also be wary of dry eye or chronic infections.

Therefore, while you can flush the eyes with the product you have or sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution), you may need to be more proactive with his eye care. To start, if you wanted to rule out allergies you could consider trying an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one

has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Otherwise, if this didn't soothe his signs, we'd need to consider having a check with his vet. If he is due a booster soon, you could move that appointment up. Your vet will be able to assess the eye and tear ducts. Depending on their findings, they can potentially treat with dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- flush the tear ducts if need be.

Overall, based on your history and the photo, it looks like we have a moist dermatitis of the skin around the eye secondary to over production of tears or discharge from the eye. Therefore, you can try the above to see if this settles his signs, but otherwise with so much swelling we'd need to think about having the eye and its tear duct checked at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )